Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Sometimes you just have to slow down..

This is apparently a lesson I needed to learn to slow down. As I was looking at my week ahead I had a list of things that I needed to get done, and places to go everyday, but that definately got thrown out the window.

It all started Saturday night Wyatt woke up and was crying and had a really barky cough. My first immediate thought was it sounds like Croup. (prounounced Cr-oo-p) None of my other kids had it, so I thought well it's probably nothing because he hadn't been sick when he went to bed. Sunday I could tell he wasn't himself, he was running a fever off and on, and had a runny nose and cough. Yesterday though he was wheezing, and by the afternoon sounded like he couldn't take a deep breath, was very lethargic not wanting to do anything except be held. It took me to go to my friend Jenn's house for her to convince me to take him in that night to the ER instead of waiting till this morning to go to the doctor. I called the nurse told of his symptoms, and told me to get him to the Children's hospital immediately. We didn't have a long wait in the ER either because I think of his symptoms. So we got in a room, and they said he had Croup, and he had Riders which is when you when they just wheeze and difficulty breathing without being active to have the symptoms. I hope that makes sense. They gave him some steroids, and some epinephrin that he had to breath through a mask, and they said if had to do it again then he'd have to stay the night. So, of course he had to do it again so we were admitted to the Children's Hospital. The worst part of the whole thing was when they tried and failed to get an IV in him to get fluids, his little veins weren't cooperating, and after 7 attempts they didn't try again. He eventually took fluids on his own and his fever was gone before we even left the ER room, and by this morning he was acting more like himself and wanting to walk/crawl around. So we were able to come home around noon. I'm so grateful to have wonderful friends that at a moments notice would come and help me out in this situation, even ones that found out after the fact I know I could've called. I am blessed to have great friends, and Jenn thank you again. I didn't move back to Norfolk thinking I'd have any situations like this, but I'm sure glad I was here when it happend. Wyatt is on the mend and doing much better. He's already up to his old tricks of finding things he's not supposed to, and is thankfully finally walking at 15 months! (which I was going to write about this week, I'll have to update with a video!)

3 comments:

Shumaker said...

I am so sorry you guys have not had such a great start to your week. I hope you are all doing better now including you. If you need any thing let em know. I am always here to help. See you for sure tomorrow morning for card club.

Amy said...

wow, quite the scare and it is good the hear things are getting better

Harbich Family of Indiana said...

Poor Wyatt!!! I'm so glad he's feeling better.

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...