Thursday, July 24, 2008

Home

Buying a House
by Vesta Nickerson Fairbairn
Not brick and plaster, tile, and stone,
Nor floor and roof and walls-not these alone
We buy. Nor is it land we own.
Home is the heart of all our days and nights
Where love provides security, unites
Us with the bonds of sorrows and delights.
This house becomes a sanctuary where
Togetherness enriches, where we share
Our hearthfire's warmth, our love, the strength of prayer.
My Mom sent this to me after we moved into our new place here in San Diego, now we're not home owners, but it still applies. It definately is something I needed when she sent it to me as it was right after we sold our house in Virginia. I felt sad about selling our home, even though it was the best thing for us to do. It was still difficult to sell the house we had made so many memories in, and to leave all of my friends there to go to a new place (that I'm still adjusting too, and missing all of my friends in Norfolk still) so this poem was fitting. I'm also posting this for Marie (see the my link of blogs I read, Marie's hectic life) as she is sad because of not being able to be home for a Family Reunion! I hope you'll be able to go to the next one! Miss you!

2 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Ahh thanks hon. I hate not being home. I really do! But we have to remember what home really is, right?

You know I am loving all your updates! I don't think you have blogged this much in a long time! :)

Little Hensley Fam said...

Yeah, I must have too much free time on my hands! lol!

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...