Monday, February 12, 2007

Being a stay at home Mom.....


Its been a busy time here in the Hensley household. Last week we took a quick trip up Wednesday evening to Washington D.C.. Josh had his interview with the Olmstead people. It went well, and so now we wait for March, and I'm calling it the magic month because a lot of our friends as well as us will be finding out where we will be in March, and our lives will be changed as soon as we know... like magic. So, Saturday night Josh and I attended a Change of Command Dinner. It was held at the Nauticus in Downtown Norfolk. It was a bit strange they set up tables in the museum, and served us dinner. So not really a dining hall, but we were at tables. It was way too tight, and they always do a video and they couldn't turn the lights off, so that stunk too, the dinner was $55 dollars (per person, so for us $110) and it wasn't that great honestly. We did have a good time... BUT, I was sitting at a table with several other Moms. One of the Ladies had two kids, and to her she said it was very overwhelming, which I agree it is to be a Mom. So for her, the choice was easy, she went back to work. Which made me go, WHAT?!?? I really don't understand how working and having kids is easier? I would love an explanation! Basically to me she said, I am willing to pay someone else to raise my kids. She does not have to work, trust me, we are just fine (our husbands make around the same pay, and we have more kids!).
She chooses to work. I really don't understand if you have the option to stay home, you choose to work? I think about all the things that I get to do with my kids that if I worked I would miss out on. Yes there is a lot of stuff I'd love to miss, all the poopy diapers, and occasional disagreements between siblings. I have never missed seeing my kids first steps, heard them say their first real word, I watched Eliza climb up (and scared me to death) the stairs! There are so many great Moms I know who would give anything to be able to stay home with their kids, and can't financially, and it just kills me that someone who has kids would give up all the great moments she could be having with her kids to work a job that really isn't as important as being a mom. I have a college degree, I could be working, but I think the most important place for me to be is at home. My kids need me. Honestly I think the world would be a better place if all Mothers were able to be at home with their kids every day, be there to take them to school, be there when they got home, and just be there. I know it's not easy to be a Mom, trust me, I get it. Jonas is turning 5 on Thursday, and it seems like just yesterday he was this brand new tiny little baby, and I was trying to figure out how to find time to get myself showered, dressed and fed around him. Five years has flown by and pretty soon he'll be 10 before I know it! So I guess my message tonight is, IF you can BE home, be home. Enjoy your children, I know I complain sometimes, but really I do Love them. I have learned so much for them, and never knew I could love people the way that I love them. It's amazing. Whew! I'm done venting about that I feel better now.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I am so shocked by that lady!

Ian and I waited so long to have kids because we DIDN'T want anyone else raising our children. Turns out we would have been waiting forever, so we just finally took the plunge. I am grateful that I am only away from Liam a few hours a day, but it still kills me. I SO SO SO wish I could be home full time.

Check out my similar post at ginamama.blogspot.com

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...