Thursday, November 09, 2006

The deployment meal plan....

For those of you that have never had a spouse deploy, there are definately changes in your lifestyle that you don't realize until you go through an actualy deployment, and something people just don't really come out and tell you. One of the things that changes when the othe spouse deploys is the quality of meals. The days of nice dinners in the evenings, are but a fleeting thought. Breakfasts and Lunches are about the same, because usually Josh wasn't home anyway for those. Dinners are the big change. Sure every once in awhile when Josh was home we'd have homemade pizza (homemade as in: using the pillsbury crust, a bottle of ragu pizza sauce, and mozzerella cheese), or hot dogs with mac and cheese, or chicken nuggets with mac and cheese, or fish sticks with mac and cheese (notice a trend), or ramen noodles. But mostly dinner with Josh was pork chops, meatloaf, spaghetti, casseroles, baked chicken, fried chicken. Well I am going to confess once and for all that I do not intend to cook anything of that sort until Josh returns. Not because I don't miss it, I really do. I tried to cook a chicken casserole last week because the thought of eating macaroni and cheese more times than I can count already didn't appeal to me. Did my kids eat it, the answer to that is No. They both professed to not like chicken (which they do), or rice, cheese, or broccoli. (which was all in it!) So I ate it, and realized I am not wasting my time or energy on a meal that only I will eat, and end up preparing two meals.
I have stocked up on mac and cheese. Thankfully they had it for 50cents a box, and I've stocked up. I'm sure the check out lady thought I must really like mac and cheese, or maybe she just knew my husband was deployed and I have three kids. =)
Another change, remembering to put out the garbage on trash day. Josh teased me before he left, by "showing me" how to take out the trash. Not only do I have to take out the trash, but I have to remember to put it out on the side of the street, and have to remember if it's the right week for recycling that picks up every other week. (usually I check and see what the neighbors are doing, and then wonder if they check to see what I'm doing? Hmmm.) Last time Josh was gone I left the trash can out on the curb too long, and got a $50 fine, but got it taken back because they forgot to pick up my garbage so that's why it was out. I hate putting the trash out.
Yard work. I don't like it. It used to be fun to rake leaves, but I decided its not fun anymore, and trying to get a 4 and 3 year old to help along with a 11 1/2 month old who insists on climbing up the concrete front stairs to the porch is not fun. We did manage to get some done yesterday and today, but I decided, I need help, even though we will have more leaves that will be on the ground soon, we need to get these leaves cleaned up! So we'll be getting help from friends. Its sad when the 6 year old neighbor kid is helping, and it is a huge relief to get the help!
Well I think I've babbled enough... another thing is adult conversation is missed. I do get it, but obviously I need some more or I wouldn't babble so much on my blog.

2 comments:

jeNnA said...

LOL... First I must say, I loke your babble! I am so in line with your way of thinking! Jeff is working 12-9 shift and isn't home for dinner so sure... You guys want corndogs AGAIN? ok. Hehehe.. Bad Mom award. But I did Make them eat mixed veggies along with the corndogs, does that help??
And Trash day?? Yea, I agree, we married so the man can take it t o the curb righT!! lol.

Gina said...

It's rough not having a husband... really rough. They may be a pain in the rear once in awhile, but golly, being married sure has it's perks. Adult coversation continually is the super bonus!

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...