Monday, September 11, 2006

Remembering where I was on 9/11/01

I was living in Milton, FL. About 3 months pregnant with Jonas. Usually I slept in until 10a.m. (remember those child free days!) For some odd reason though, I got up at 8a.m. Josh was at Officer Candidate School for the Navy. I was sharing an apartment with another friend Lysa, who's hubby was in OCS with Josh. Normally the t.v. wasn't on a local channel, but for some reason it was, and when I turned on the t.v. a little after 8a.m. the image I saw still hasn't left me. I thought it must be a movie, but it wasn't. It was real, it was live. I remember calling my sister Marilyn a little later, Lysa and I were still glued to the t.v. watching everything, and asking her if she was watching the t.v. and then while watching the second plane hit the world trade center. I thought it had to be re-playing the first plane, and was in total shock when I realized it wasn't a re-play it was another plane.
I think I called my sister because she lives in Maryland, near D.C. and I knew the other plane had hit the Pentagon, and didn't remember where Greg (my brother-in-law) worked.
I will never forget that day. Remembering feeling as if I were crazy to bring a life into this crazy, scary world. Wondering why I ever thought Josh joining the Navy was a good idea. I remember before this thinking how safe we were in our country, and taking that for granted. 9/11 has forever changed the way I think. I realize now no one is safe from Evil. We are all vulnerable. Even after that terrible day, good things did come from it. I think it was a day meant for us to look to Heavenly Father, God, or whatever else you may call him, (To me Heavenly Father) and realize why we are here on this earth. After that people seemed to want to be kinder to each other, and help each other. People were turning to their families, and doing things they had not done in a long time like go to church. I think for me it was a day I realized that we can't take for granted what we have in this country, we are truly a blessed people but I see our society becoming more evil, and I think that was our wake up call. Its now 5 years later, and I see things have gone back to the way they were, and I think its sad. Yes we take a day to remember, but then we put it out of our minds it seems. I'm sure the victims families, and those that got out of the World Trade Center don't forget, but others of us that just witnessed through television have. That was a terrible day, and those that died, it truly was sad. I feel for those families, but know that they are in a better place.
I know this has gotten long. I know I will never forget 9/11, and hope that no one else will either.

No comments:

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...