Monday, January 26, 2009

Got to the breaking point....


I've found that my children really seem to know how to push my buttons. As I mentioned my children have for some reason or another been difficult to get to bed. They get up there after we brush teeth, read stories, say prayers, and then give kisses goodnight. Then we hear them talking which is fine, but then we hear them out of bed, and then we hear someone crying, and then it's Mom, so and so hurt me. Which obviously wouldn't have happend had they been in bed. So last night we reached our breaking point. I told them they were going to lose t.v., computer, and the wii if I had to tell them one more time to go to bed. So they lost 2 days worth, and then were STILL acting out. So rather than take the entire week away... I tried something different. My friend mentioned her husband and her do this when they have trouble with their kids going to bed. I don't know if this is exactly what they do but this is what I did. I had them all come downstairs, they had to face the wall, and hold a book (it wasn't big) over their heads. They thought it was funny at first, but after 20 minutes they were crying to go to bed. They went upstairs, and Maddie and Eliza ended up doing some more minutes, but after that we didn't hear a peep out of them. I will definately try it again because it was definately more effective than a spanking ever was, and better than threats. Let's hope that tonight will be better for going to bed, and that they can behave to earn their favorite things back by Wednesday.

8 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Isn't being a Mother so much fun? One minute you want to strangle them...the next they do something that melts your heart. It's the joy of mothering!

One thing we do, but not at bedtime, just if there is a lot of fighting, is make them do a job. Like say Harm and Ethan are fighting, they both do a job until they can stop fighting with each other. They hate it, so it works well! :)

Janice said...

Oh golly. I hear you! I have been having troubles with my girls. Usually it is over bedtime too, but... I find that during the day is more troublesome. I will have to try the book thing too. I'll let you know how it works out.

heidigoseek said...

the book thing sounds like it should be video-taped...priceless.

Anna said...

Yeah - I definitely want to see at least a photo of that! :)

Mary said...

Having your kids beg to go to bed is always a good thing. Love the book idea! Time outs work for us, too. It's 3 strikes(warnings) and your out - in "time out" that is. If you don't go to time out somewhat cheerfully, we start yanking the privliges for the next day (treats, tv, computer time...). The last straw is their absolute favorite thing - like their blanket. They can't have it back until they've done the time. Our horrible bedtime battles have ended (for the moment) and we hope they stay that way. No fun.

Brooke said...

The cartoon you posted made my week. I'll be going through my regular routine, and I catch myself thinking about that cartoon and laughing. Because, man, it is so true. So, do we ever get that missing part of our mind back?

The Barton Family said...

Ha ha! I can only imagine the weeping and wailing that caused. We sometimes make our girls do push ups for punishment. We had a familyin our ward fullof girls and that is what they did, thier girls were buff teenagers so maybe one day it will have other benefits too!

jeNnA said...

Your cartoon reminded me of a shirt I saw recently. I big buff guy was wearing it and it said, "I do whatever the voices in my WIFE'S head tell me to do."
hehehehe...

Our crazy adventures... with 4 great kids...